Boom! Personal Loans
Borrow from £300 to £10,000 without paying crazy interest.
We believe in fairness. Even if you have a bad credit history or low income, you could be eligible for a Boom! loan to help you pay for those emergencies or things that are important to you.
Our interest rates are affordable, and theyre comparable to high street banks. And our Save As You Borrow policy means you have a nice lump sum saved when you finish paying off your loan too.
Please call us and speak to our loan officer if your require a loan higher than £10,000 and we will discuss with you your requirements.
How it works
You can apply for our personal loans online, by post or by coming into our offices. To apply for a loan you must:
- Be 18 or over
- Have an income of more than £125 a week
- Live or work in West Sussex, Surrey or Kingston, or work for an employer based in these areas.
Everyone who takes out a loan must save some money as they pay back their loan. Your loan repayment will consist of two parts: the loan repayment itself and a savings contribution. When your loan is paid off you have a nice lump sum that you can spend or save. By having a Save As You Borrow policy we can give more people access to fairer loans.
Why borrow from us?
- Build your savings as you repay your loan
- Repay early if you want to, with no early repayment fees
- Get a prepaid debit card if you want one.
How do we compare?
So, just how much more affordable is a credit union loan? Even if you have a bad credit history, or no credit history, we may be able to offer you a loan at a lower rate than you can get anywhere else.
The rate we can offer you depends on your circumstances and the amount you borrow, but it will never be more than 42% APR (annual percentage rate).
- - Payday loan companies can legally charge you up to 1000% APR.
- - Pawn brokers usually charge between 50 and 90% APR and hold an item as security.
- - High street banks may charge lower APR, but you will need a good credit history to be eligible for their best offers.
|Loan comparison for smaller loans
|Lender||Amount borrowed||Weekly repayment||Number of weeks ||Total cost of the credit|
|Provident Personal Credit *||£ 500||£ 17.50||52||£ 410||272.2% APR|
|Boom!|| £ 500||£ 11.48||52||£ 96.75||42.58% APR|
* Source: www.providentpersonalcredit.com (08/06/2016)
What you need to apply
You can apply online, at our offices or by filling out this application form [pdf] and posting it to us. We use online ID verification, but sometimes we might need to see proof of your ID, income and address before we can release the money. You will need to post or email us copies of these, or bring them into our offices in Worthing or Crawley. We may need to see:
- A passport or drivers licence
- A utility or council tax bill from the last three months to prove your address
- Two recent salary slips, and/or a Tax Credit or DWP letters confirming your benefit payments
- Full bank statements, for all accounts, covering the last two months (printouts of online statements are fine)
If you have any questions about proof of ID, address or income, contact us.
If you apply online, your loan may be approved immediately and you can access the money within 24 hours. It might take a little longer if we need to see proof of your ID or your income. In this case, well get back to you within 24 hours. If you meet our credit and affordability checks, you can usually access the money within 48 hours.
See What You Can Borrow APPLY NOW
Accessing the money
When your loan is approved we send you the details of your loan account. You can access and move the money by:
- calling us on 01903 237221
- visiting us in our offices in Worthing or Crawley.
If you come into our offices, we can transfer the money into your designated bank account immediately, or issue you with a cheque. If the cheque is for £500 or less you can cash it for free at specific local post offices. We cant make cash payments. Please remember to bring proof of ID with you.
You can also request a prepaid card for your loan account. You can then load the money from your loan account onto the prepaid card and use it as you would a debit card.
Repaying your loan
You can choose to pay back your loan weekly, fortnightly, four weekly or monthly. We charge interest by the day and don't front load your loan with charges.
You need to pay enough into your loan account each month to cover the loan payment. You can set up a standing order to pay it from your bank account, or pay in cash at our offices.
You can pay in more if you want to and either save it or use your prepaid debit card to spend it. We can also set up any standing orders or direct debits that you need on the account.
If there are changes to your income or your situation, and you cant make a payment, let us know as soon as possible. We can then work out an affordable way for you to repay the loan without it costing you unnecessary interest.
Saving as you pay back your loan
Each month, a part of your monthly loan payment will be put into a separate savings account as part of our Save as You Borrow scheme. We hold the savings in a separate savings account that you can access when the loan is paid off. Doing it this way makes it possible for us to have a lower interest rate and to lend to you even if you have a poor credit history.
Fees and charges
- There are no early repayment fees.
- Interest is charged daily and we don't front load your loan with charges.
- The amount you will need to pay each month will be clearly set out in your final loan offer. This figure will be broken down so that you can see how much of your payment is going towards repaying the lump sum you have borrowed, and how much is for interest on the loan.
See What You Can Borrow APPLY NOW
Still have a question that needs answering - take a look at our Loan FAQs.