Boom! is a credit union for people who live or work in West Sussex, Surrey or Kingston. We give local people access to fair and affordable loans, savings accounts and prepaid cards.
We exist to help make life better for people in West Sussex, Kingston and Surrey. Everything we do is based on the Boom! beliefs about whats important:
- Be fair - make high quality financial services available at a fair cost
- Include people - everyone who wants to manage their money responsibly should have access to fair financial services
- Show respect - everyone deserves to be treated politely and with respect
- Give people a say - people should have a say in the services they use
- Act responsibly - always act in the best interests of our members, protecting their savings and lending responsibly
Whats a credit union?
A credit union is an independent not-for-profit organisation. Its owned and controlled by its members, who all have something in common. (All Boom! members live or work Surrey, West Sussex or Kingston.) To use the credit unions services you must be a member.
Credit unions are committed to being responsible lenders, making ethical choices, and making life better for our members and our communities. To do this, different credit unions may offer slightly different services, but we share our objectives. These are to:
- promote saving and good money management
- to give people access to credit at a fair and reasonable rate of interest
- to use members savings to benefit all members and the community
- to help people be smarter in how they manage their money.
Credit unions have been around for decades and today there are more than 40,000 credit unions in 79 countries. There are 118 million other people around the world who believe in and benefit from the ethical and community banking approach that credit unions share.
How we work
Our day-to-day operations are in the hands of a team of staff and volunteers led by our directors. Because were a co-op, every member has an equal vote in who our directors are, and a say in the services we offer. Any profits that Boom! makes are paid out to our members in dividends, rather than being paid to shareholders.
For more legal details on how we work you can download our Rules [pdf]
How are we regulated?
Were regulated by exactly the same authorities as high street banks. Savings with the credit union are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, and were regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
What weve achieved so far
Today we have over 6,000 members using our savings, loans and prepaid cards. Local people and organisations have invested £4.2 million with us.
Were also partners with leading employers in West Sussex, Surrey and Kingston, providing Save As You Earn schemes and preferential rate loans for their employees.
We work with many local schools and have set up Junior Saver schemes to encourage children to be responsible with their money from a young age.And since our launch weve provided affordable loans totalling more than £6 million to our members.
Be a part of making fair loans and banking services available to more people
Loans at reasonable interest rates even if youre on low income or have a poor credit history
All your savings with the credit union are protected under the FSCS